Bon Appetite? What’...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Bon Appetite? What’s for dinner at your house?

184 Posts
7 Users
0 Reactions
(@geri7)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Thought I would start a fun thread on food, delicious sumptuous food.  Even if the prophetic news slows down ... this thread should, hopefully, stay alive ... unless ... ahem ... you’re all fasting. B-)   If your main meal is not dinner please feel free to share what you made for breakfast or lunch.  If you plan on going out to eat ... name the restaurant or fast food place and what you think you plan on ordering ... oh ... and don’t forget dessert. :yes:

Ok ... today I’m making a small pot of chili ... very mild mild chili so my puppy dog can have some. :whistle:    Will also bake a potato and add the butter, chives, chili, shredded lettuce and cheddar cheese. :yahoo:    Drinking a tall glass of ice tea to wash it all down.  Then later for dessert - 2 scopes of pistachio ice cream on a sugar cone.

Posted : August 1, 2019 6:39 am
(@seekingillumination)
Trusted Member Registered

Sadly, I just ate for lunch the worse turkey thighs I ever made.  Purchased it at the market; over cooked it like never before.  But I am eating it because I refuse to waste it.

Sadder (not a word), I am probably eating it for dinner too as punishment for not paying attention to what I was doing while cooking it!!  :cry:

I do have orange jello with mandarin oranges for dessert! :yahoo:

I'm a pretty good cook; if it counts, I made seared scallops, with mashed potatoes and sliced fresh tomatoes with olive oil on Tuesday night!

Perhaps I can come to your house for dinner??   Your meal sounds MUCH better!!  Enjoy!:)

Posted : August 1, 2019 10:33 am
(@geri7)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Oh how frustrating.  Nothing is worse than spending money and time in cooking and the meal turns out bad.  You’re a trooper for eating it. :good:  I’m not a fan of turkey - I think its dry to begin with and leaving left overs in the refrig. for next day ... oh boy, I need a gas mask since it smells like something died in there.   Chicken doesn’t do that and I’ve always wondered why that is since they are both farm raised birds.    My dog hates turkey too.  I was trying to give him a treat and bought him organic turkey nuggets about $45.00 a bag at a local pet shop.  Unfortunately, he smelled it and walked away.   I thought oh great there goes $45.  I was able to give the bag to the mailman ... he knew of someone who could use it ... so I felt a little better about that.

Your mandarin orange jello sounds sooo delicious!  As well as your mash potatoes and fresh ripe garden tomato salad!  Yum.

I live in lala land Vermont.  I would certainly set another plate out for you if you live close by.

Enjoy your delicious dessert and don’t feel guilty with a 2nd helping.  B-)

Posted : August 1, 2019 11:25 am
(@seekingillumination)

Turkey thighs are usually moist; if cooked properly.  I don't make it often, but it's a good healthy protein.  Not my favorite; but good for an occasional meal.  After this; it may not be on my plate again until Thanksgiving Day!

Very good job of sharing your dog's unwanted treats with someone who will enjoy it!

I'm in Pennsylvania.  Not that far, but too far for dinner!

It was interesting to hear your menu for today!  Thanks for the post!

Posted : August 1, 2019 12:36 pm
(@geri7)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Living in PA ... cool ... I used to live in NJ ... we would have REALLY been next door neighbors.  My family and I would vacation in Lancaster every Sept.  The restaurant food was sooo good because it came from organic farms.  The best tasting hamburger I ever had came from there and they served it on a pretzel roll.  Yum!

Does your cute kitty cat like turkey?

Oh thank you for responding... I enjoyed reading what you made.  Can’t wait to hear your menu for tomorrow or if you have plans to eat out ... :whistle:

Posted : August 1, 2019 1:05 pm
(@seekingillumination)

Yes; Pennsylvania has lots of farms.  We are blessed with very fresh produce.  There are several "pick your own" farms close by.  Also there are tons of small farms and homes with roadside stands selling their produce for next to nothing.  I visit those stands quite frequently.  The corn is fresh off the stalk; doesn't get any better than that!

My kitty does like turkey, but out of a can.  I've tried to make fresh chicken and turkey for him, but he prefers the less healthy, manufactured food. :negative:   Go figure!

Today is market day.  After working all week, I don't like cooking on Fridays.  I either get something at the market for dinner, or we go out to eat.  I'm hoping for the later today!:yes:

Posted : August 2, 2019 6:34 am
(@geri7)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Wow, you’re soooo fortunate to be close to fresh local produce at cheap prices!  Yes, fresh corn on the cob is to die for!  You’re living in the promise land!

There is a farmer’s market in my town but they cater towards the rich people with expensive prices ... so I don’t bother going there.  I have to rely on local grocery stores with produce coming up from the deep south or the west.    I think the south loves to send the Yankees their inferior produce  :negative:  Its hit or miss ... watermelon is sometimes good and other times it taste like blah water.  Peaches are sometimes sweet and juicy and other times its dried out.  But I noticed any fruit or veggies from Israel is always delicious!

Aw, so your Kitty cat loves can food vs. fresh chicken or turkey.  Its funny how finicky our fur babies are!  The pet shop gave my dog Nutrisource dog food so this is the only brand he will eat.  Unfortunately, none of the local stores sell this so I either have to drive to Albany or Saratoga Springs, NY or order over the internet.  If this company ever stops making dog food, I’m in deep trouble.  But he does like homemade chicken, meatballs, hamburgers, steak, bacon and ... fish.  But I’m not a fish lover.  So  I buy dried Salmon bites.  He wants to be hand fed so I suffer because of the smell ... I just hold my breath as I feed them to him and immediately wash my hands afterwards.

Good for you in not cooking tonight.  Grocery store hot meal bars have some really good choices and they are delicious.  Enjoy your dinner - and the best part ... no dishes!

Lunch was finishing up the rest of the chili.  Dinner I think will be a protein smoothie.  I use a little cran-grape juice, water, drop in the frozen strawberries, pineapple, blueberries, etc. and add the protein powder in the blender.  Its really a tasty and filling meal.

Posted : August 2, 2019 9:36 am
(@tenderreed)
Illustrious Member Registered

I hate turkey, always have.  Not much for fish either, except for scampi, fried shrimp and lobster.  Not crab.  Don't like pumpkin or tapioca's.  Enjoy home cooked meals, but mostly eat fast food.  I don't cook much, but then neither does my wife.  Well food that I enjoy anyway.  I have simple fare mostly.  Being diabetic I usually wait till my blood sugar drops and then just scramble for eats.

My wife and I enjoyed some pork ribs for our anniversary the other night.  That was a splurge!  You girlies are making me hungry!  I love beef in it's every form.  Love corn on the cob, artichokes, green beans, cauliflower, most veggies.  Breads, potatoes and rice, yum.  I'm into sauces and gravies.  I like Italian, Chinese, German, again anything with a sauce or gravy!

My God, now I'm making myself hungry!  I don't have a huge appetite but am particular as to what I eat.  When invited the dinner table I always have to ask what the menu is!

Don't do Indian, Suchi, or anything too exotic. Meat and potatoes kinda guy.  And if I can identify the body part, I won't eat it.

I love desserts as well, but am also just as picky!

TR

Posted : August 2, 2019 2:37 pm
(@geri7)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

:mdrmdr:  welcome T.R. to the cyber dinner table!  Sit down and stay a while..  Ahem ... I believe you just gave us a years worth of drive by meals. :stinkerbell:   It was very entertaining!   I’m in agreement with no turkey, fish, pumpkin, tapioca, yada yada yada. :negative:

Love pork ribs, cow and chicken (except for tongue, eyes, liver parts)  ... oh and anything Italian :good:

I used to love Chinese but then my co-worker was kind enough to share hot off the grill to them means road kill of dogs and cats.  It’s too costly now to just order fried rice, minus the chicken ... with 1 fortune cookie and 3 orange slices. Cry
Sooo .... what fast food place did you go to today?

Posted : August 2, 2019 3:37 pm
(@tenderreed)

Taco Bell is my go to. It's cheap or a quick burger.  I hate cilantro and re-fried beans so I don't do too much Mexican.  My wife has a diet specific to herself.  And as I said, I don't have a huge appetite.  Being slightly over five foot and six inches tall, weighing around 127 lbs with a 30 inch waist, I don't eat a lot.

Beef, pork and ham are my staples.  No decent Chinese restuarants here so I go to Panda Express on occasion.  Not much into soups, though in California I could get a good asparagus and green chile soup.

I like chili!  I do go to a buffet here in town called Golden Corral.  Various family restaurants.  Most of the time it's just a cold sandwich and a soda at home.

By and large though, eating is simply mostly a chore for me.  Just something I need to do to keep everything working properly.  As like with most things, I have champagne tastes and a beer pocket book.  And I don't even like beer!

TR

Posted : August 2, 2019 4:00 pm
(@tenderreed)

Heh guys, check the new thread on the main board I just wrote.  Feedback please, and bless each of your hearts!

YBIC....TR

Posted : August 2, 2019 4:06 pm
(@geri7)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Taco Bell sounds great - used to go to the one in NJ.  I love Golden Corral and miss going there because the nearest one is in NY.  But we do have a Chili’s ... even though its Mexican ... these 3 meals are to die for and they don’t taste Mexican ...  BBQ Ribs, Steaks or the Bacon/Avocado Grilled Chicken Sandwich.  Their Cheesecake is wickedly good.

I saw your new thread and already responded. :yes:

Posted : August 2, 2019 4:39 pm
(@geri7)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Ravioli, Garlic Bread, Garden Salad and Raspberry Lemonade.

Posted : August 3, 2019 10:16 am
(@geri7)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Looks like dinner will be Waffles with  Pistachio ice cream

Posted : August 5, 2019 7:37 am
(@seekingillumination)

Oh my!  I have a lot to learn on how to keep track of responses!!!  I'm not on the computer much on the weekend and I'm working during the week, so my check-in times are spotty.

Tender Reed, what was the title of your new thread?

Being a diabetic, I would think you need to eat on a regular basis and not much pasta?  I had a diabetic cat; he was not regulated.  He was a miracle.  For 3-1/2 years his numbers went from the 200's to 300's to mostly 400 & 500's and then this past September, 600's.  VERY long story, but I learned a lot about carbs and have changed the way I eat as a result.

Chili's has really good fajitas.  I love Mexican; actually there isn't much I don't like!

Geri7; I love our farmlands and don't always take as much advantage of them as I should, but I do indulge in the availability!   You are a good mom for your dog.  It is my opinion that the more real food you give your dog; the healthier he will be.  My dad gave our German-Shepherd/Collie our leftovers everyday on top of her dry food.  She lived to be 13 or 14 years old; healthy as a horse till the day she went to rainbow bridge.  I too order special food for my kitty.  I buy a non-carb dry food and must order it online; it's not cheap.  No one sells it in a store.  He's worth it!

I love seafood too; it's my favorite.  Not fish so much, but I do make salmon on a pretty regular basis because it's good for us.  Yesterday I marinated a pork loin with a coconut milk, peanut sauce and baked it so that will pretty much be my dinner every day this week.  Additionally, I made fried rice.  For this week's snack,  I made deviled eggs so while I'm working I can pop some quick and easy protein!  :yes:

Posted : August 5, 2019 10:16 am
(@seekingillumination)

Oops!!   I "liked" my own thread!  Lol!:wacko:

Posted : August 5, 2019 10:18 am
(@geri7)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

No problem ... life keeps us so busy. Glad you were able to stop in and sit down for a few minutes at the cyber dinner table.  B-)

Oh my ... glad your handsome kitty is doing better.  Is that him in your avatar pic?  I agree homemade meals for our fur babies keeps them living longer and gives them a variety so they aren’t tired of the same old dry nuggets and/or can food.  My dog also loves munching on lettuce, carrots, apples, watermelon, pineapple and blueberries.  Yep, I agree the better quality food is expensive but in the long run ... sooo worth it ... only the best for our fur babies. :whistle:

Wow that marinated coconut milk pork loin dish sounds sooo delicious and with the fried rice.  Yum!   Its great that you will have leftovers to enjoy.  I will have to try that some time ... I love coconut milk.

Posted : August 5, 2019 3:59 pm
(@seekingillumination)

Yes; the avatar pick is my cat. :)  He is not the diabetic.  Unfortunately, the diabetic passed away in September.  His blood glucose was too high for too long, no matter what I did; or the good food he ate.   He started looking really bad about 2 1/2 years ago and lost a lot of weight.  I started making fresh chicken in the crock pot every week and bone broth.  He never liked human food before, but he inhaled this chicken with homemade chicken broth.  For about four months he couldn't get enough of it and loved drinking the bone broth several times a week.  Between praying over him EVERY DAY and him eating healthy fresh chicken AND the bone broth; he came back to life!  The Vet said it wasn't possible for him to gain his weight back with his blood glucose numbers in the 400's; BUT, he DID gain his weight back and his fur was soft and shinny again.  He looked healthy and acted healthy until the day his body just said, "enough".    Sorry for rambling; the topic is still so near and dear to my heart.

One of my friends cooks salmon, for her dog, along with other meats.  She gives him special dry food and then human food on top.  That dog is very healthy!  It sounds like your dog is very healthy too; and lucky to have a mom who takes good care of him!:yes:

Posted : August 6, 2019 3:08 pm
(@geri7)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Oh sorry for the mix up.  Thanks for explaining.  Cool how he loved the homemade chicken soup and was living on that until got well to live a little longer.  You gave him the best quality of life and I love how the Lord answered prayers.

Yep, my puppy went for his check up 4 weeks ago and is healthy as can be.

Speaking about chicken soup ... that’s on the menu tonight ... not homemade though, wish it was ... instead its Campbells so that means I will be adding more noodles.  Also will have a garden salad and some cherries for dessert.

Posted : August 7, 2019 11:37 am
(@geri7)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Lazy day ... no breakfast ... late lunch was Marie Callender’s Country Fried Chicken, Mash Potatoes with Gravy and Corn.  Not bad for being a frozen dinner and only $2.00 on sale.  I’m skipping dinner.

Posted : August 8, 2019 11:51 am
(@ruthem)
Eminent Member Registered

Speaking of mashed potatoes, try topping them with  mixture of sauteed baby bella mushrooms & sliced onions ( all organic of course), and a couple squirts of Braggs Amino Acid ( best salt seasoning ever ). Deliciosso !!!!

Posted : August 9, 2019 7:12 am
(@geri7)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Ruth,

Where do you get the Bragg’s Amino Acid - at a local grocery store or on-line?

I love the Bragg’s products.  I have the Apple Cider Vinegar.  Everyone needs this in their homes because it cures so many ailments  including if you get a stomach virus - quick healing with a little bit in with some water.  I sometimes add a little cran-grape juice .. it disguises the vinegar taste.

Posted : August 9, 2019 7:49 am
(@geri7)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Making homemade pizza with a glass of root beer soda.   I get the dough at a local grocery store ... shipped in from a Boston pizzeria.  Good quality dough.

Posted : August 9, 2019 7:55 am
MyWhiteStone
(@mywhitestone)
Noble Member Registered

Pizza dough made with root beer?  Hmmm !?  (Just kidding)

Posted : August 9, 2019 4:21 pm
(@geri7)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

:mdrmdr:   I guess I should have worded that better.   Hey ... when I order the spare ribs at Chilis ... they ask what kind of BBQ sauce  ... I always order the one that contains soda (I can’t remember if its Dr. Pepper or Cherry Coke)  it is out of this world good ... the flavoring on the ribs taste both Sweet and Smokey.

Posted : August 9, 2019 4:39 pm
(@tenderreed)

Can't wait to have dinner with you guys!

Let's face it, with eating being a chore, might as well eat something that brings us pleasure and makes my stomach smile!

Been craving waffles, pancakes, hashbrowns, eggs, Texas  toast and thick bacon.  Even though I rarely eat breakfast, the craving comes on me once in a while.  Funny, wonder why we crave the foods that we do even even while not pregnant.  Tee, hee, hee

TR

Posted : August 10, 2019 7:56 am
(@geri7)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Have you’ve tried waffles with ice cream instead of maple syrup?  That’s the only way I can eat waffles.  It tastes like an ice cream sandwich.  This is how they serve it on the boardwalk at Seaside Heights (Jersey Shore).  And Orange Julius’ drinks yum!  And Caramel  apples with nuts on top or Jelly apples (aka the red color candy apples with coconut on top).  Salt Water Taffy, Fudge and other chocolates, and Caramel popcorn :popcorn    I expect to see all these treats served in heaven and on the restored earth ... at the amusement parks, water parks, etc.   Its going to be fun! B-)

Posted : August 10, 2019 9:02 am
(@tenderreed)

I'm with ya.  One exception, no coconut.  Being born in Canada, I need my maple syrup!  Hope your right about all the treats in Heaven.  And if we have heavenly treats that just might blow anything we've had here outta the water that would be awesome!

I'm disappointed Geri, you didn't mention the toffee, white chocolate or cotton candy!  I do appreciate your epicurian palate however!  Don't forget the honey and grasshoppers though on of Johnnies's faves.

One of my mom's favorite dishes was braised ribs and meat simmered in a soy sauce and brown sugar dish, on a bed of white rice! Yum.

TR

Posted : August 10, 2019 10:40 am
(@geri7)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

No coconut?  So does this mean you’re not a fan of German Chocolate cake?  Or Almond Joy/Mounds candy bars?

I hear you about the real  maple syrup ... hands down better than the fake stuff the grocery stores sell.

I’m not familiar with toffee ... perhaps because it sounds to close to coffee.   White chocolate is ok ... prefer the milk or dark  chocolate better.  Oh yeah completely forgot about cotton candy!  Also, I will let you in on a secret ... I can eat this one fish all day and I believe its the only fish that will be on the banquet table  .... a side dish of ... Swedish Fish!!!   😉   Yum!    Hey, perhaps we can persuade John the Baptist to forfeit the grasshoppers and honey for a plateful of sweet and soar gummy worms?  I think he would be sooo delighted with the worms! B-)

Your mom’s braised ribs and rice dish sounds soooo good! I hope there are cooking and baking contests so we can judge and sample these meals and desserts! :whistle:

Posted : August 10, 2019 1:12 pm
(@tenderreed)

Indeed I have been called particular in what I enjoy eating and what I might refuse to eat.  This also holds true with desserts.

As a child growing up I preferred caramel, white chocolate and butterscotch over chocolate.  Though I greatly enjoy chocolate today, I'm not a fan of dark chocolate.  It has to be milk chocolate! Don't like brownies or chocolate cake.  Prefer white or spice cake.  Love cinnamon, hate licorice.

TR

Posted : August 10, 2019 3:14 pm
Page 1 / 7
Share: